How we threw a second baby ‘sprinkle’ for three stylish mamas in NYC
Last week we flew to the Big Apple to meet three stylish mamas-to-be: Valerie Macaulay, Sylvana Ward-Durrett and Serena Merriman Alvarado. The scene was set at LaDurée in Soho, and we celebrated alongside their close friends, in true understated New York fashion.
A former Vogue Editor, Valerie (centre) is Co-Founder of fashion company La Ligne, putting together an edit of luxury clothing that all start with the iconic stripe. Think classic pieces with a contemporary twist. Expecting her second baby, she wore our Kalita Uschi and the Wild Sky Voile Maxi Dress. Anna Wintour’s assistant in 2003, Sylvana – pictured here on the right in our Printed Silk Dress by Valentino – has been producing Vogue’s annual Met Gala for years, while finding the time to found her own children’s e-commerce company Maisonette – launching mid-March – all the while pregnant with baby number two. Serena (left) started Merriman Events, specialising in event planning and décor from intimate dinners to extravagant weddings. THE event planner in NYC, she also is a Contributing Editor of house and style magazine Domino. Choosing a graphic-print shift dress by Marni, Serena is also celebrating her second pregnancy.
IT’S ALL IN THE DETAILS…
Go for a sumptuous dessert option for a sweet finish. We loved La Duree’s choux-pastry Saint Honore dessert. Plus, keep it feeling celebratory without the alcohol. The Marie Antoinette cocktail they served provided a great virgin option, made from home-made ice tea, grapefruit syrup, strawberry nectar and white grape juice.
Custom-made florals lend a pretty touch – we opted for tulips, Japanese ranunculus, rainbow eucalyptus, sweet peas, spray roses and flowering quince brances, designed by Saipua flowers. Each guest received a handmade illustration of themselves by Susannah Garrod, for a truly personalised touch
AND WHEN IT COMES TO GIFTING…
1. If you don’t know them personally, skincare is the perfect choice for those expecting. Choose from our Bloom & Blossom range to give their body the extra attention it needs.
2. These teethers by NYC-based label Lexy Pexy are made from natural maple and make a playful option for any little one – we love this one for health-conscious mothers!
3. A day of the week silk knicker set by Stella McCartney will come in handy for life with a newborn and the blur of the post-partum period.
4. Our range of cotton swaddles are a must-have for new mothers – versatile, there are fun, sweet and unisex pieces for all in our edit.
5 . Oh so sweet – a cotton floral baby pyjama is a thoughtful gift for little ones.
6. Shop customisable gold bracelets by Irene D, or say it with this ‘love’ style.
7. Silk and floral, this classic pyjama set by Stella McCartney is an elegant style to lounge in all year round.
Written by Katie Stalker
With thanks to LaDuree Soho, Saipua flowers, Susannah Garrod and photographed by Sarah Elliott.